A high level of staff engagement is essential for the success of a dental surgery.
When you think about marketing a dental surgery, it’s natural to focus all of your efforts on patients and potential patients. However, it’s also important to turn your efforts inwards to ensure that staff engagement is at a good level.
According to the NHS, staff engagement is a key element to overcoming the various challenges it faces. “By involving staff in decisions and communicating clearly with them, organisations can seek to maintain and improve staff morale, especially during periods of difficulty and change,” the health service explains – and this is also true for dental surgeries.
In a dental surgery, it’s probably a given that the team understands the importance of dental hygiene – but what they might not understand is what sets the clinic apart from the competition. Good marketing and internal communication can both help to improve team buy-in, and ongoing training is also essential.
Investing in training demonstrates to your staff, as well as your patients, that a dental surgery is committed to keeping up with the latest advancements in dentistry, as well as other aspects of running a successful business.
If you’re looking to further boost team engagement in your dental surgery, here are a few other recommendations from the NHS:
- Make sure the organisation has a clear business strategy, and that this is regularly discussed with staff.
- Have good communication mechanisms in place to facilitate a dialogue with your team.
- Ensure staff understand how their role supports the surgery’s overall objectives.
- Hold regular team meetings to discuss how to improve effectiveness.
- Involve staff in decision making.
- Encourage staff to suggest and explore new ideas for improving services.
- Carry out staff surveys to assess levels of engagement.
Here at Designer Dental Training, we understand that a key part of maintaining staff engagement is ensuring your team is trained to a high level. That’s why we offer a comprehensive range of training courses suitable for all members of the dental team. To find out more about how we can help your dental surgery, please contact us today.